Thursday, March 26, 2009

Game on...

Week Sixteen:Play Floor Hockey

I realize there are many people out there who will be shocked and even a bit offended that I have never played floor hockey. You can’t throw a rock in this city without hitting a guy that plays in some type of hockey league, or at least jumps into a pick up game on occasion. However, I haven’t played any form of hockey since I was probably twelve years old, getting knocked around by my older brothers and their friends playing in the street. Even when I was a bit older and they started playing floor hockey (when I could actually hold my own against them) I was too busy being punk rock to care about that kind of stuff.

Thankfully, I soon rediscovered my love of sports but by this time the opportunities to play hockey had dried up. I have a handful of friends that play on ice, but since I can barely skate and they take it a little too seriously I’m not about to step into that buzz saw. However, last Friday I received a text message from my friend Dan asking if I want to play floor hockey the following morning. Naturally, due to my complete lack of experience, my initial reaction was to decline his offer before thinking to myself, “Why not?” I love hockey, I’ve always wanted to play in a game situation and, as previously discussed, I’m always looking for new ways to stay active during the cold weather months (even though it was officially Spring by this time and actually a pretty nice day). It could be a real fun time.

However, despite all of these convincing arguments in favor of playing, I still had that lingering voice in my head telling me not to bother. I know you’re all familiar with this inner demon we’re forced to grapple on a regular basis - telling me I’ve never played before so I have no business playing now as I am unprepared, ill equipped and will likely end up making a fool of myself. Besides, waking up to play would disrupt my usual Saturday morning routine of eating breakfast and watching TV until I decide to take a shower. So why bother, right?

That’s when I decided to apply the philosophy of 52to30. Far too many times in my life, I’ve used the fear of an unfamiliar situation to talk myself out of trying new experiences or taking certain chances. Therefore, no matter how intimidating or overwhelming it may seem, if I have a genuine interest in trying something new, I’m going to jump right in. That’s why so many of these entries contain some variation of the phrase “I’ve always wanted to…” It bears repeating after all, this entire adventure isn’t just about doing fifty-two things I’ve never done before; it’s about taking those chances and learning how to say yes to all the things I want to try. I’m not just marking off a checklist until a deadline here; I’m forming new habits for a more fulfilling life.

Hence, inspired by this empowering train of thought, I agreed to join Dan on this adventure. So when I got out of work Friday afternoon, I stopped by my local sporting goods store to buy a stick - no longer was I ill equipped. I’ve wanted to buy my own stick for a while since I’m the only person I know that shoots left (despite being right-handed) and I like shooting around with my little nephew Sean who now loves hockey. This just gave me an excuse to do so. Also, because my budding hockey career is recreational at best, I settled on the $20 stick as opposed to the two hundred dollar and up models. Unless the NHL starts calling I see no need to make that kind of investment.

I showed up to Dan’s house a little after 9 o’clock Saturday morning with my new stick, a bag full of gym clothes and a healthy dose of nervous excitement. Also joining us this morning were Dan’s friends Munchie (nickname) and Igor (real name) as we made the twenty-minute drive out to Clarence, where we would be playing in the gymnasium of a large church. The four of us were the first to arrive but more people soon trickled in as we changed and stretched in preparation of the game. The nets were then set up at opposite ends of the basketball court and I took my first few shots, quickly realizing it’s not as easy as I thought. Even in my imagination I’m not Alexander Ovechkin but I can at least put the puck on the net.

Once all the players arrived, there were about 15 altogether ranging from older guys in their late 40s and early 50s down to couple of kids in their mid teens and even one that was around ten. Teams were then decided by placing everyone’s sticks in the middle of the court and dividing them evenly into two groups. Each player finds their stick and is teamed up with the other players in the same pile. The two teams are then assigned to wear either black or white shirts to distinguish them from each other – four players per side plus goalies and two or three for each team as subs. With all the details settled, it was time to play.

I started off playing defense and got into the flow of the game pretty quickly. After a few trips up and down the court, however, I thought my heart was going to explode. I don’t consider myself to be in poor shape but there’s not much that can prepare you for the constant exertion involved in hockey – starting, stopping and changing directions in and out of a full sprint. It was exhausting but I was very thankful for the opportunity to take my turn on the sideline every few minutes.

I grew more comfortable as the game went on, connecting passes and even shooting a few pucks on net. I even started doing the things I’m always yelling at the Sabres to do when watching on TV, such as going to the front of the net when you’ve got the puck deep in the zone. Then, during one of these fore checks, I parked myself to the right of the net and as the puck shot across the crease I was there to bury it home. Now, I was able to restrain myself at the time but I’ll admit, I was totally stoked. I had just scored my first goal during my first real game of hockey. But as they always say, act like you’ve been there before, so after a few fist bumps it was back to the game.

A bit later, however, I found myself in a similar situation. I crashed the net during a scrum in the crease and saw the puck sitting just behind the goalie, totally unaware of its location. Reacting quickly, I reached out and stuffed it into the net for my second goal of the day. However, at the risk of sounding selfish, I must admit our team was getting crushed. Even despite my offensive explosion we were never within two goals and the final score was something like 13-7. And while I know you’re not supposed to enjoy personal accomplishments if your team loses, I felt pretty good about myself.

At the end of the game I was tired and sore but overall satisfied with my performance. As previously stated, I know I’m not All-Star material but I’d say I serve well as a pretty solid role player. A gritty, third line forward that racks up decent points through tenacity, size and knowledge of the game. Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself but you can’t stop a boy from dreaming. And if I ever learn to skate as well as I walk I might just have a future. Until then, however, I’ll enjoy my time on the court.

POP CULTURE UPDATE

Listening to: I Tunes on Shuffle - Currently "Jesus, Etc." by Wilco
Reading: Redemption Song: The Ballad of Joe Strummer
Recently Watched: The Godfather II

1 comment:

Gene said...

i also am right handed and shoot lefty. and i dont play hockey but i have a stick... ?