Thursday, June 11, 2009

I've got some good news and some bad news...

Midterm Report

First the good news: we’ve made it to the halfway point of Fifty-two to Thirty! Last Friday was June 5th which marks the unofficial holiday I like to refer to as my “Half Birthday.” Therefore, with six months down and six more to go until I hit the big 3-0 I need to head into the locker room to reflect on what I’ve done and make any necessary changes to the game plan for the second half.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little impressed with myself at this point. I think I can honestly say this is the longest I’ve ever stuck with anything that requires so much energy and attention. Even the average college semester only lasts sixteen weeks so at twenty-six I’ve far surpassed that mark.

I’m not saying I doubted myself but I’m a realist. If even half of my best intentions were actually realized in life I would be the most prolific human being since Leonardo da Vinci. I mean I’m usually pretty good about sticking with something once I’m committed to it but admittedly this is quite a daunting undertaking. Thankfully, however, I’ve been able to maintain my focus on this task thanks in large part to all the positive feedback and attention I’ve received from everyone out there that has taken time to read my weekly updates.

This experience has been tons of fun and I feel a tremendous sense of pride and accomplishment from everything I’ve done so far. I’ve gained a lot of useful knowledge, discovered many new hobbies and even faced a bit of failure (not that I needed any practice with that). However, I don’t want it to sound like I’m done just yet. We’re only halfway there and after all the Bills were winning at halftime of both Superbowl XXV and XXVIII before falling short. As a long suffering Buffalo sports fan I know not to count any victories before the clock hits zero.

Which brings us to the bad news. Due to some unforeseen events, including discontinued services and inclement weather, I was unable to accomplish either of the tasks I was considering for this week (I don’t mean to sound so cagey but I like to keep things somewhat of a surprise). Therefore, in the midst of all my back-patting and talk of accomplishment I have experienced the first real letdown of 52to30.

However, if I may sugarcoat the situation a bit, I did not want to post about a meaningless or otherwise half-ass experience just for the sake of filling up a week. Earlier in the year, scheduling issues forced me into a similar situation but I quickly compensated with a last second idea that, although interesting, wasn’t quite as satisfying as the original.

Therefore, in an effort to keep things as interesting as possible this time around, I have moved one of the activities to this weekend with plans of posting two separate entries by next Thursday (Weeks 27 and 28). So while it won’t fall within the previously specified time frame, there will still be an equal number of adventures when all is said and done (Isn’t time relative, after all?).

So here’s where we stand - at this point I have looked back on what I’ve done so far, analyzed my accomplishments and disappointments and formulated a game plan for the next twenty-six weeks. I’ve adjusted some of my loftier plans due to the current economic climate but I’ve also been flexible enough to shuffle my schedule when new and unexpected adventures present themselves. I hope to build on the successes I’ve had so far, learning from any shortcomings and really bring this thing home in a big way. I appreciate your continued support and look forward to winding down my twenties in style. Hopefully you’re there for the ride.

CULTURAL UPDATE:

Reading – John Adams, Party of One by John Grant

Watching – The Simpsons, Season Four (Episode: Selma’s Choice)

Listening – Toad the Wet Sprocket, Dulcinea

No comments: