Friday, July 3, 2009

Zip-a-dee-do-da...

Week Twenty-Nine:Zip Lining


When I first started writing out ideas for Fifty-two to Thirty, there were several big ticket items for which I was especially excited. Zip lining was definitely among these ideas. In fact, when the activity originally occurred to me I literally wrote down, “Go zip lining (figure out how)”. So this activity actually began several months ago when I started researching the logistics of zip lining.

After realizing there were no places to try zip lining locally, I started to think I might be out of luck. Of course, I quickly dispelled this negative idea when I stumbled upon some zip line kits and figured I might as well make the investment for a lifetime of awesomeness. Also, my brother Sean was planning a party at our family’s cabin the last weekend of June so, figuring this would be the best place to install a zip line, I decided this would also be the perfect opportunity to try it for the first time. The wheels were set in motion and all that was left to do was buy the kit.

Prior to ordering the zip line, I toyed with several possible paths at the cabin. Criteria for the proper location naturally includes two trees an adequate distance apart, a clear path between thee trees and a steady but not too drastic slope. With a few prime spots in mind I started researching various zip line packages on the Internet before finding the best deals on eBay.

Since this would be my first experience zip lining, I decided on a package with 100 feet of cable. Other options included anywhere from 50 to 300 feet but considering cost and experience, 100 seemed like the right fit. Next, I had to choose between the three different trolley options available. Unfortunately, the most sturdy and well-constructed option was also, naturally, the most expensive. However, after some lengthy internal debate, I figured since the difference between the least and most expensive trolleys was only twenty-five dollars, the quality was well worth the price.

Now that I had decided what I was going to buy and where I was going to buy it, all I had to do was the trigger. Easy, right? Unfortunately, I really had some reservations about dropping a hefty amount of money on something so extraneous, especially considering the current economic climate (both personally and globally). Therefore, I came up with the brilliant idea of subsidizing the zip line by asking for donations from some of my friends. My logic being, if I could get ten to twenty bucks from those most likely to get some use out of it, I would feel much more comfortable with the investment. Naturally, between such an awesome idea and such awesome friends, I quickly raised a third of the cost and made the deal happen.

Thankfully, the zip line showed up just in time for the cabin party. As soon as we arrived at the cabin last Saturday I started checking out the various locations I had previously considered. Since I had done a little more research and even watched some zip lining videos, I had an even better idea of what I was looking for. After measuring the distance between several trees using my feet as an unofficial ruler, I realized my best option would be to run the wire from the edge of the woods to a lone tree in the middle of the yard. This course stretched about eighty feet across unobstructed, slightly descending ground – perfect for some first time zip lining.

The next task of this process included the crunching of some numbers. I won’t bore you with all the details but I needed to figure out what heights to start and end the zip line according to the distance and sag of the wire. Zip lines are not meant to be a tight rope between two anchors, as this would cause the rider to barrel full speed into the bottom tree. Instead, the line needs to sag in the middle so the rider loses speed as the trolley moves back up towards the bottom. Additionally, with the inexperience of everyone involved, I wanted it to be low enough so they could drag their feet on the ground for further breaking. After considering all these factors and using the prescribed equation, the line would start at ten feet and end about seven feet off the ground.

Actually setting up the line, however, was not as easy as it seemed. Thankfully, after a bit of experimentation, trial and error I was able to get it up very nicely with the help of my brother Pat and our friends Paul and John – all very eager to lend a hand. Honestly, their cooperation was priceless and I am very thankful for the assistance.

As soon as the line was up and to our standards we tested it by taking turns, jumping up from the ground and traveling a short distance. We didn’t want to start full speed from the platform just in case something went wrong and we crashed to the ground. However, everything worked perfectly and we decided to start jamming.

The fist time launching from the platform is rather nerve-wracking. It’s only about ten feet but it goes against all natural instinct to jump from that point and this initial hesitation was evident during everyone’s first attempt. However, I just tightened my grip, leaned forward and pushed off with my feet. Once again, just like everyone else, after that first trip I barley gave the launch a second thought.

The best method I found was to lift my legs so they wouldn’t drag on the ground but using them to slow down the last ten or so feet before releasing and continuing past the tree in a short job. Some of the girls, however, preferred to have someone catch them as the bottom – perhaps a mixture of fear and the inability to reach the ground. But despite the chosen method, everyone that attempted the zip line loved the experience and, with the exception of one person (Tony!), got right back on for another try. Naturally, as the day wore on people started experimenting with their style, going down backwards or striking poses mid zip and even resorting to zip lining in the dark after sun down. As bad as some of these ideas seem, I took full responsibility as watchdog to ensure nothing got out of hand. If safety wasn’t first, it was at least a close second to fun.

For three days following our zip line experience, my forearms and sides were tight with soreness. No matter how much I stretched or moved them, the pain took its sweet time in leaving my body. However, this short period of discomfort was well worth the amount of fun I had last Saturday. The zip line has been packed away to ensure its longevity by protecting it from the elements. But with the experience gained in setting up and riding the line I can’t wait to get it back up for more excitement. Naturally, the next time it will be a little longer, higher and steeper – I really can’t wait.

Note: Zip lining is easily a top three experience so far in 52to30. However, I would never been able to pull it off without the help of everyone involved in the process of funding, set-up or even the enjoyment of the line itself. Special thanks to everyone that helped: Ryan, Terry, Jason, Jackie, Pat, Paul, John, Sean, Rose, Carrie, Jeanine, Gene, Yvonne, Joe, Jen, Tony, KJ, Jill, Christine, Nick, Danielle, Andy and anyone else I forgot. Stay tuned for more zip lining fun!

CULTURAL UPDATE:

Watching: Ratatouille (Such a good movie!)

Listening : Bruce Springsteen – Born in the USA (Appropriately enough)

Reading : John Adams, Party of One by John Grant

1 comment:

jenny bomb said...

we have a really big zip line here in cincinnati. i hope to do it in October!