Thursday, April 23, 2009

A creative mess is better than tidy idleness...

Week Twenty:Learn to Knit


There are many skills in this world that all men should possess. Included among these abilities are the proper ways to operate a chainsaw, throw a football and maintain an automobile (at which I’ve already proven to be a monumental failure). And while these represent just a small sampling of necessary “man skills,” learning how to knit definitely does not make that list. However, let it be said that I am not the type to shy away from a challenging new experience no matter how blatantly unmanly it seems. Therefore, in an effort to expand my experiences into unexpected and (if I may say so) uncharacteristic territories, I am learning how to knit.

My wonderful girlfriend Jackie originally brought up this idea but at first I really wasn’t interested. As time passed, however, the idea slowly became more appealing but not due to an increased desire to learn how to knit. Instead it has more to do with this strange compulsion I have to learn everything there is to know - I want to be able to install a light switch, make a quiche and skin a deer all in the same day. Therefore, since this opportunity was presented I figured I might as well add it to my arsenal.

In an effort to keep this task as manageable as possible I decided I would knit myself a scarf - just a straight line of fabric with no angles, patterns or any other obstacles to confuse the matter. I’ll have my hands full just learning the process so it’s best to keep it easy and functional. Next, I had to choose my yarn and considering style and texture, I selected a cool, grayish fabric with little notches to enhance the feel. Jackie then proceeded to show me how to wind the yarn around one of the needles to begin the process. However, when it came to the actual knitting of yarn together she had to slow herself down to consciously think about the process.

Once she figured it out, Jackie got behind me to guide my hands through the technique in a very Ghost-like moment - the only thing missing was “Unchained Melody.” But as I watched her fingers move, even at the exaggerated slow pace, I started laughing through my own intimidation. At first glance, the knitting process is so confusing I just couldn’t help feeling like I was in way over my head. Once again though, never one to back down from a challenge, I was determined to give it my best.

After helping me through the first row, Jackie left me to continue the process on my own. With my limited knowledge of the technique I started very slowly, repeating the steps Jackie taught me before realizing the actual knitting was the least of my problems. Instead, the thread that I chose ended up causing way more trouble than it’s worth.

Between the color, texture and random notches I was so fond of, it was very difficult to move the needle in and out of the appropriate loops. On the occasion I could actually find the right spot it was equally difficult to move the yarn because my knitting was so inconsistent – some loops being very loose while others were wound too tight to work with at all. Before I even finished the third row it was obvious I had created a knotted mess and I was forced to unravel and start again.

Although my second attempt began a bit more smoothly things quickly went south. After four or five rows of struggling through the process I spread out the fabric to check on my progress and realized, much to my disappointment, the scarf was developing very unevenly. As you can see from the picture, the right side of the needle shows the length it should be but as the yarn moves to the left it becomes a mangled up mess. So much so, in fact, that I somehow managed to extend some yarn above the needle – don’t ask how, I’m just learning here. At least Jackie got a good laugh out of my effort.

Therefore, feeling terribly frustrated and a little deterred I decided to pull it apart again and switch to an easier yarn. Unfortunately, my only other option was plain white but at this point style was out the window and I was only concerned with learning the process. Besides, if I’m pleased with the final product I can always dye it a more appealing color or give it away as a gift.

So with a fresh beginning and a healthy dose of determination I started chugging along. The difference was immediately noticeable and I was able to make a lot of progress very quickly. Actually being able to see the knots and determine where the needle is supposed to go makes knitting much easy, so that helps.

For the next hour or so I continued all the steps over and over – in, behind, loop, front, in, off. Trust me, it makes sense when you’re in the process. At first I started very slowly but as I got the hang of it I was able to pick up the pace and really work up a head of steam. Every once in a while though I would lose my concentration or over think myself, unsure if I had skipped or repeated a step. At this point I would make my best guess and pick up the steps where I assumed I left off. By the time I finished that first night I had about three inches of scarf to show for my efforts.

In spite of its image as a leisurely hobby for old ladies, knitting seems to serve the opposite purpose. It’s a stimulating brain activity requiring concentration and consistency which may in fact help prevent the mental atrophy that sometimes occurs in the elderly. No wonder so many old ladies are into it. Even in my own experience, once I gained confidence and started moving along at a steady pace I had to maintain my concentration. Any time I looked up to check the action in the hockey game for instance, I would be totally lost and end up making a mistake (note the random loop on the left side).


After another night of knitting I just about doubled the size of my scarf. While that’s not saying much at this point I realize it’s not supposed to be a quick process. Just like anything worth doing in life I’ll have to invest plenty of time and patience before I have something worthwhile. So hopefully over time I will keep on knitting and eventually have myself a pretty nice, one of a kind scarf. Good thing it’s April though because it might just take until next winter, at which point I’ll have a small, misshapen scarf as a memento of this experience.

No comments: