Thursday, April 30, 2009

Shave and a haircut...

Week Twenty-One:Straight-Razor Shave

The idea of the straight-razor shave has always been romanticized in my head. I immediately envision a cowboy or gangster leaning back in the chair as the old time barber complete with white apron and striped pole leans over them, swinging the blade with quiet concentration. The whole situation has that old-fashioned Americana feel I truly appreciate - despite the fact that the patron is usually then gunned down by a more menacing version of the same type. Unless of course a cowboy bursts in to shoot the gangster, but that would just be ridiculous.

Therefore, despite the threat of imminent death, I decided to incorporate a straight-razor shave into 52to30 because it just seemed like such an awesome idea. The challenge I faced in accomplishing this, however, was finding a barber that still provided the service. Apparently nobody trusts a stranger to rub a razor sharp piece of steel across their face anymore. Weird.

After a few unsuccessful attempts to find an old-fashioned barber that would actually give me a shave I finally received a tip from my good friend Jason. He had recently received a haircut at Tom’s, a hole-in-the-wall barbershop on Amherst Street in Buffalo. In addition to a well-done and reasonably priced trim, Jason’s experience at Tom’s also included the straight-razor treatment on his neck and around the ears. Once he informed me of this incident I knew I was in business.

The next issue, however, was trying to make it to Tom’s while he was actually open. My first two attempts were foiled because the shop is randomly closed on Wednesdays and also because Tom only works between 9am and 5 pm – I happen to work from 9 to 5:30 so that doesn’t really help me. Therefore, to make this happen I arranged to work a later shift so I would be able to receive my shave first thing in the morning.

* * *

Arriving at Tom’s a little before nine on Thursday morning I was relieved to finally see his sign flipped to “Open.” As I walked into the worn out storefront it was obvious the shop had not been updated in the last thirty years. A row of tattered chairs were lined up along the right side of the shop for waiting customers and the linoleum floor was worn away in a circular pattern around the barber chair - undoubtedly the path Tom has shuffled hundreds of thousands of times over the last few decades. Several pots of flowers were scattered on the platforms behind each of the two large, filthy front windows as the time-warp atmosphere was completed by fluorescent lights flickering overhead and an A.M. radio filling the room with a combination of jazz standards, news updates and static.

I waited in the designated area while Tom finished cutting the hair of an elderly man who seemed to doze off several times during the process. Once his turn was up Tom looked at me and motioned to the chair at which point I requested a shave. After mumbling his acknowledgement through a faded Italian accent Tom attached the headrest, leaned me back and affixed some towels into the collar of my shirt. Next he applied the hot lather which felt fantastic at first before quickly cooling to room temperature while he sharpened the razor. Then tilting my head to the left Tom slowly began dragging the blade along the right side of my jaw.

It’s definitely not the most comfortable feeling in the world but I wouldn’t call it painful. Instead there’s a distinct scraping sound and the hairs are kind of tugged as they’re removed from the skin. Again, it doesn’t hurt; it’s just a slight pressure pulling the hairs as they’re being cut loose. It’s similar to shaving without water which would in fact be the case in this situation.

The most distinct feeling, however, is the undeniable anxiety over the fear of sudden movement. Throughout the entire process I was dreadfully aware that a very sharp razor was gliding along the contours of my face, uncomfortably close to my nose, ears and throat – none of which I’m currently looking to alter. Therefore, I remained very focused and conscious of limiting any sort of movement. Instead, I trusted Tom to move my head as he deemed necessary – tilting my chin to the left, right or upwards or pinching my nose to navigate the tricky corners around my upper lip. His patience and precision were truly appreciated.

After shaving along the jaw, cheek and neck on the right side of my face, Tom angled my head so he could do the same on the left side. Following each stroke of the blade he would wipe off the razor with the towel on my chest before continuing. Finished with my upper lip, Tom then removed any excess shaving cream before applying some aftershave which definitely livened up the senses a bit. However, he followed that with talcum powder to soothe the skin and that was most certainly appreciated.

At the end of this experience the straight-razor shave did not live up to the hype. Tom was definitely a very cool old guy and I truly appreciate his precision and skill but perhaps he’s a bit out of practice. Or maybe, the reason everyone shaves at home these days is because it’s easier, cheaper and, thanks to advanced technology, much more efficient. After I left I inspected myself in the mirror and moved my hand along my face. There were a couple patches Tom had missed along with a few spots of razor burn with traces of blood. Plus, his sideburn sculpting left something to be desired. Overall, the final product was decent but less than stellar and in fact turned out very similar to the way I shaved when I was fifteen.

I have heard about designer men’s shops in Las Vegas and New York City that provide first-class treatment including straight-razor shaves - likely in updated facilities much more polished than Tom’s little barber shop on Amherst Street. However, this treatment is also, very likely, much more expensive. So if I ever find myself in Vegas with a little extra time, money and facial hair I might consider giving a straight-razor shave another try. Until then, however, I’ll stick to the Gillette Fusion and my bathroom sink. I know it can feel like a hassle in the morning but you really can’t beat cheap and comfortable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like his blade may not have been as sharp as it should have been...if done right, you should have left with one of the best shaves of your life (no joke)

I used to get my hair cut at a place called "The King's Court" by a guy named Bill (who I guess fell off of a roof and was in a coma for years - I don't think he ever recovered)

Anyway - Bill would always do the straight razor on the neck line and, if requested, would do your entire face. To me, it felt like he wasnt even shaving me. It felt like he was just sliding the razor across my face to remove the warm shaving cream. But each time, it was the nicest/closest shave I had ever experienced and never left any sort of redness or irritation. (he did nick me with the blade pretty good once though)

About a year ago i started looking into buying an old school classic safety razor...which is a combination of the current razor style with a straight razor blade built in. Once you get the skill down it's one of the best shaves you'll ever get, and since it's always a quality blade, if you take care of it properly, you get a perfect shave every single time. I still havent found the right one, but this made me want to get on that and purchase one soon. They're not a cheap investment. Some of the early Gillette models can get up to a few hundred dollars. Been a lot of remakes out there but they're not anywhere near the same level of quality I guess so it's been a confusing "hunt".

-Don

Anonymous said...

Viva la Tommy!