Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ride! Ride! Ride!

Week Twenty-Four:Bike to Work

What appealed to me about riding my bike to work was that in addition to being fun and challenging it also serves several functional and practical purposes. First, instead of picking some arbitrary route I chose my work place as a destination, which distinguishes it as transportation as opposed to recreation and that’s something I haven’t used a bike for in years. Next come the obvious second, third and fourth birds to be killed with the same stone. While in the process of traveling to work I will be exercising, saving money on gas and reducing my carbon footprint – all things I’m passionate about.

I realize riding a bicycle doesn’t seem like an overly impressive activity but I really haven’t taken one on an extended journey since I was probably thirteen years old. I’m sure we all remember those fateful years of our early teens when we thought we were too cool to ride our bike but still too young to drive. Since those days I have fallen into the car culture of modern society just like everyone else, rarely jumping on a bike for anything more than a spin around the block.

Despite this lack of bicycling I have been meaning to get out more often in recent years just for the recreation and exercise. Then when gas crept well over $4 a gallon last summer I really started considering riding my bike to work just for the economic benefits. However, despite all the undeniable advantages listed above the plan never materialized due (as usual) to my own laziness and lack of commitment. That’s where 52to30 comes in - the new and effective way to overcome excuses and self-doubt.

I used MapQuest to plan my route from my house in West Seneca to my office in Orchard Park but I pretty much knew the path I wanted to take. Obviously, I had to avoid all thruways and I even adjusted the course in several spots to ensure I wouldn’t be going out of my way. In fact, I was able to save a good chunk of time by cutting through a development of townhouses that connects to the parking lot at my office through a short distance of woods. After shortening my route by over two miles, MapQuest calculated the final journey to be 5.25 miles long with and estimated drive time of sixteen minutes (by car).

Once I finally determined the date and knew the weather would cooperate I dug out my bike for some basic maintenance. Nothing special, just air in the tires, grease on the chain and a spin around the block to ensure everything was in working order. I was originally hoping to build up my endurance by getting in some riding in the weeks leading up to this adventure. Unfortunately, this training regiment never materialized but rather than wait around for it to happen, I decided to just hop on and get trucking. After all, riding a bike is so basic someone should come up with a phrase about how you’ll always remember how to do it.


I pulled out of my driveway at 8:14 Wednesday morning with forty-six minutes to make my journey before I was supposed to be at work. However, prior to even leaving my neighborhood the gravity of the excursion struck me and I felt intimidated for the first time. In hindsight I think it was just my inner-laziness causing me to doubt myself enough to take the easy way out, turn around and get into my car. Fortunately, I refused to be deterred and forged ahead on my trek. I knew I would be able to fight through any physical challenges that might arise and I had my phone on me in case the bike itself broke down. Also, in this situation, I was more than willing to accept being a couple of minutes late to work if the journey happened to take a little longer than anticipated. That was a gamble I was willing to take.

Therefore, reaffirmed in my mission, I emerged from the side streets and hit Abbott Road, the main conduit I would be following for the next four-plus miles. After crossing the Ridge Road intersection, the first real landmark of the journey, I hit my stride and started putting some distance behind me. It was easy riding for this segment and I was making decent time with minimal effort while cruising down the sidewalks. I know it’s not proper bicycle etiquette but I decided to stick to the sidewalks when possible for my own safety and comfort.

However, my luck started to turn as I passed beneath the thruway overpass by Fisher Road. At this point, Abbott starts to gradually rise towards the approach to Lake Avenue when the incline quickly progresses to a much steeper slope. Feeling a tremendous strain for the first time I chugged my way toward the peak and was thankful for the break I was able to take as I waited for the light at Abbott and Lake.

After a break and a downhill stretch that were far too brief, I turned left onto Milestrip Road before making a quick right onto California. Despite being the final leg of my journey, and the direct route that would save me a good ten minutes, I was dreading this stretch due to California Road’s sharp, twisting incline. Once again I trudged along, this time without the comfort of a sidewalk. Fortunately there was much less traffic on this road and I was able to cross my final intersection, Southwestern Boulevard, with little harm beyond my aching thighs and burning lungs.

California road finally leveled out right before the development that backs up to my work parking lot. Coasting between the townhouses and condos I was able to catch my breath but since I was unable to check the time throughout the entire ride I had no idea if I was late or not. However, as I cut through the short wooded path that leads to the parking lot I noticed several familiar cars pulling in at the same time as any other morning – I was safe. I checked my phone just to make sure and the time was 8:50. I made the entire trek in just thirty-five minutes giving me ten to spare.

I was pretty impressed with my performance of riding my bike to work. I was a little sweaty and sore when I arrived but I freshened up quickly and stayed well-hydrated to make up for the exertion. I definitely plan on doing this more often in the future for all of the benefits listed above but mostly because it was fun and, quite frankly, made me feel pretty cool. However, in the future I’ll be sure to bring a change of clothes so I don’t have to ride all the way in my work attire. My coworkers should appreciate that as well.

The ride home wasn’t very exciting as it was also without incident. The only real difference, besides an increase in traffic, was the fact that it was mostly downhill. This played into my favor since it was much warmer during the 5 o’clock hour and I had much less energy after my morning ride and a full day of work. In fact, I was passed on the return journey by several other bicyclists but that certainly didn’t bother me. I was in no hurry and I was just enjoying the ride.

Hopefully, my rides to work grow increasingly easy in the future but remain just as uneventful. Riding a bike down busy streets is fun but the less excitement the better. The last thing I need is to roll across the windshield of some a-hole driver that was too busy texting to watch the road. I guess if riding becomes a regular enough occurrence I may even have to buy a helmet. We’ll see. I know safety comes first but I really can’t afford to look ridiculous.

1 comment:

dwightgibb said...

Awesome! I'm sure you are among a minority in Buffalo who commute by bike. But dammit, get a helmet! Sometimes your health insurance will give $25 toward one.