Thursday, May 28, 2009

What aren't we going to do?

Week Twenty-Five:Hooky Day

The idea of “Hooky Day” is a universally appealing concept. It’s so easy to get caught up in the daily grind of life as the days pass by quickly and uneventfully to the point that you barely even notice the passage of time. Accordingly, taking a spontaneous day off can be both healthy and uplifting by providing a well-needed break in addition to some relaxation and fun. I mean, the weekend is always a welcome respite but they’re often as hectic and exhausting as the workweek, especially this time of year with some party or event planned for nearly every free moment. Therefore, when the time comes when you feel so worn out you can’t take much more, it’s crucial to take a day for yourself and really have some fun.

Personally, I rarely take days off of work unless I have something important to do. Even on my birthday last year, I scheduled the day off but instead of relaxing or enjoying myself I used the day to go to the dentist, get blood taken for my doctor and get my license renewed at the DMV. Not only did I squander a perfect and well-earned opportunity for “me time,” I actually chose to experience three things people usually dread.

Now, please don’t get the idea that I’m trying to sell myself as a workaholic here – far from it. While I always take care of my business I would hardly consider myself Thomas Edison. Rather, my problem lies in this bizarre notion in my head where I actually feel guilty for taking days off. I have no idea where this feeling came from and I really have no reason to show that sort of loyalty to my current employer. That’s not to say I don’t like my current job, I just know that if I don’t take care of myself, nobody will.

Besides, this is hardly a new occurrence in my life. In almost five years spent teaching, the only time I ever missed was when I had to leave work early because I almost barfed all over my desk. I tried to tough it out but it was an ugly scene. I imagine you get the point by now but the more I articulate this bizarre conception the more absurd I feel.

Consequently, when my brother and his friends extended an offer to join their second annual Hooky Day I was initially hesitant. Not only was I forced to overcome the usual “time-off guilt” but I was also dealing with the fear that I might be squandering vacation time that I would need for an emergency later in the year. However, the more I thought about the situation the more I realized how ridiculous I was being. Not only would I get much more enjoyment out of a day of recreation but it would also be during warm weather instead of waiting until December to use up extra time-off before it expires.

For additional motivation to accept the offer of Hooky Day I decided to incorporate it into 52to30. Since I’ve never actually experienced a day skipping work in favor of the singular purpose of recreation I thought it fit the criteria. In all honesty I was envisioning (hoping for) a very Ferris Bueller type of outing. Realistically, however, I understand that’s a very lofty aspiration – but I’m more than willing to give it a try.

The agenda for Hooky Day, as established by it’s founders (my brother Pat along with friends Tony, Greg and Mark), includes meeting early for 18 holes of golf followed by lunch, drinks and on to wherever the day might take us. Again, this might seem like an average Saturday to some people but since I just started golfing a few years ago and I only make it out a couple times a year, it’s still a novel experience in my book. Besides, this day isn’t merely about the activities involved. It’s about the freedom of a day that would otherwise be spent working along with the camaraderie of hanging with the dudes.

Everyone gathered at Mark’s house around 8:30 Friday morning. In addition to the previously mentioned participants our crew would also include Tony’s brother Chris and my Uncle John (aka Uncle Dick – a well earned nickname). Once everyone arrived we hit the road en route to the Buffalo Tournament Club in the Lancaster/Clarence area. Upon our arrival to the BTC we checked in for our tee time, grabbed our golf carts and hit the links.

I won’t bore you with all the details of our various rounds of golf but for the record it must be known that I am far from a talented golfer. As previously stated, I haven’t been at it for long but even so I got off to a very slow start. However, I quickly grew more comfortable and with the help of Uncle Dick I was able to correct a few major points and reach a relatively steady level of play. In fact, I did well enough on the front nine that I was elevated to the first group for the back nine, having decided the top four players from the first half would face off on the second half.

Starting the back nine only one stroke behind Pat I was feeling confident. However, my play quickly fell apart and I ended the day with a 120, good enough for fifth place out of seven golfers. Surprisingly, I really enjoy golf in spite of my obvious lack of skill. Somehow, I find it soothing even though I would otherwise expect regular explosions of temper to coincide with my dismal performance. Despite this enjoyment, however, I really don’t see myself heading to the course on any sort of regular basis. Not only is it a very expensive hobby, it’s also very time consuming and, quite frankly, I always find myself getting bored by the end of the round. Therefore, I’ll stick to golfing on special occasions and spend my time and money more constructively.

From the golf course, our caravan headed out to lunch at the Quaker Steak and Lube – my first experience at this establishment. A delicious meal and a few beers really hit the spot after four-plus hours of golf. Of course, even though the restaurant was mostly empty, our table was a riotous outburst of laughing, yelling and general ball-busting throughout our meal. However, once the meal was complete and the party was moving to another bar down the road, I decided to go my own way and catch a ride home with my brother Sean, who had met us out for lunch.

In all honesty, I was beat. Nobody will ever describe me as an all-night, party animal and this day was no exception. Rather than waste more money on alcohol and carry on in my exhausted state I decided to head on home for a well-needed nap. I was barely able to keep my eyes open during the ride and once I got home I crashed immediately.

It may not have lived up to my aspirations of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off but it truly was an awesome day. In fact, I wasn’t even sure if the day justified an appearance on 52to30 but since that was my original idea for this week and I was able to overcome the ridiculous guilt of taking a day off, I had to stick to the plan. Besides, even if the day’s activities fell short of expectations, that nap was the most fulfilling thing I’ve done in a long time. Here’s to many more of those.

POP CULTURE UPDATE

Listening to: Conor Oberst
Watching: NBA Playoffs - For the first time ever, more interesting than hockey. Weird.
Reading: Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

No comments: